Monday, May 30, 2011

Bernstein Artists Featured

A great, big thanks to Ms. Prang for linking the House of Blues' "Drawing Us Together Visual Arts Exhibit" where you can check out the talents of senior Michael Gaytan and Nichari Tang.  Open up the link and put the cursor over the particular art work to locate the artist.  A lot of great work here, and lots of great talent at Bernstein High School.  Go Dragons!  Go Michael!  Go Nichari!

I was lucky to be granted permission to interview Michael Gaytan.  The interview consisted of a series of questions that I wrote down, and he was gracious enough to answer them.  Here is what he felt comfortable sharing with me.  

1.  Your work was entered in a Los Angeles competition and selected to be featured at the House of Blues.  How did you feel about having your work featured there?  
Michael:  "Honestly, I felt great about it.  It made me feel good because people were looking at my art and liking it, too.  It made me feel like if I accomplished something."

2.  Your painting is interesting.  It is really busy and a lot of fun to look at.  Could you elaborate on its meaning?
Michael:  "There's not really a meaning to it.  The theme was 'Hollywood and Music,' so I just painted random things that reminded me of Hollywood and Music."

3.  How long did it take you to complete?
Michael:  "Like two days.  I wish I would've worked on it some more though."

4.  Who are your artistic influences?
Michael:  "My artistic influences are street artists, like Bansky, Shepard Fairy, El Mac, and pop-artists like Andy Warhol, and many more.

5.  How much time do you generally devote to painting each week?
Michael:  "Not a much as I want to.  I haven't been painting much because of school and friends.  I paint on the weekends if I am in the mood or have nothing else to do."

6.  Do you work with other artistic mediums besides oil paints?  Which is your favorite?
Michael:  "I don't like working with oil paints much because they're more of a hassle.  I prefer acrylic paint, and that's pretty much all I work with--acrylic paint and paint markers."

7.  Your work is quite good.  Have you ever offered to sell any of it?
Michael:  "Thank you.  Yes, I have tried selling it to friends and family or people who were interested in buying it."

8.  Do you have a website with photos of your work online for others to consider, maybe to purchase?
Michael:  "I have a blog that I share with my friend, Bryan Garcia, at http://yoproductions.wordpress.com.  It doesn't have all of my work, but it has the clothes I sell and my character that I came up with."  

No comments:

Post a Comment